Hello and welcome back to Warfield Primary School.
Every Autumn we usually invite parents into school to share with you learning strategies and expectations to support your child with learning in Year 5 and 6. This year we have had to record these presentations for you to view at your leisure in the comfort of your own home. Please click on the link below to view the presentation.
We are so glad to welcome you back to our classrooms. It is amazing to see everyone so excited to be back in school after a very challenging few months. I hope you all had an amazing summer and are looking forward to the new academic year.
On this page you will find:
- The home learning grid for the Autumn term
- Spelling: link to www.spellingframe.co.uk and https://play.edshed.com/login where your children can practise from a selection of the Year 5/6 words in preparation for SATs (where words are chosen at random based on the selection of spelling rules).
- Topic grid for ‘Friend or Foe'
- Useful links (see below for more information)
- PE days – Tuesday and Wednesday. Please make sure your child comes in to school wearing their PE kit.
- Home Learning to be in by Friday each week. Home learning activities will be part of the home learning pack or will be sent home on a Friday.
- Reading records should come into school on Friday. Ideally, they should be with your child every day as they can also record any reading they do in school.
Helpful information for Parents:
One is www.theschoolrun.com which explains the majority of what is taught in KS1 & KS2. It usually has written and visual examples to help clarify the explanations.
The second is a Youtube Channel run by Mr Thorne - https://bit.ly/2FzGIzB. Most of his videos are aimed at EYFS/KS1 but if you go to playlists you can find 'Mr Thorne Does Grammar' which has concepts we teach in KS2.
Further information on 'useful links':
Both Times Tables Rock Stars and Prodigy require a login which your children have been given in school. These websites are a great way to boost your children's maths skills and have are designed to target their specific areas of weakness. Prodigy analyses how your children are doing and sets questions accordingly; Times Tables Rock Stars has tables set by the teacher - if they want to practise all of their tables, they can do so by playing in Studio Mode.
The last maths link is for a website which has many quick games split into the different areas of maths, e.g. sequencing and ordering.
Spelling games include the links: Spelling Central and Spelling Frame.
- Spelling Central allows your children to input their spelling list (which can be found on this web page) and play a variety of games with them.
- Spelling Frame uses vocabulary from the Y5 & 6 spelling list. In addition to the usual games which they can practise their spellings on, this website also allows the children to hear the words being spoken.
The links 'Spelling & Grammar Games', 'Comma Practise' and 'Adjectives Practise' are for your children to practise a range of grammar. 'Spelling and Grammar Games' is a link to the TopMarks website which has a wide range of games - they don't just have to use the games the link takes them to.
Mr Connor Grey
Elephants Class Teacher