Hello and welcome to our class page!
On this page you will find:
- The home learning grid for the Summer term
- Spelling: link to www.spellingframe.co.uk where your children can practise from a selection of the Year 5/6 words in preparation for SATs (where words are chosen at random based on the selection of spelling rules).
- Topic grid for ‘Ancient Greece'
- Useful links (see below for more information)
- PE days – Monday and Thursday. Please make sure your child’s PE kit is in school on a Monday morning. Kits will come home on Friday. As it gets colder, please ensure they have both shorts and trousers.
- Home Learning to be in by Friday each week. Home learning activities will be part of the home learning pack or will be sent home on a Friday.
- Reading records should come into school on Friday. Ideally, they should be with your child every day as they can also record any reading they do in school.
- Spelling books should come into school ready for Friday spelling tests.
Helpful information for Parents:
We have made available all of the information we disseminated during the Y5&6 Curriculum Information Evening. However, there are a few extra resources we feel could be useful to help you explain concepts to your children.
One is www.theschoolrun.com which explains the majority of what is taught in KS1 & KS2. It usually has written and visual examples to help clarify the explanations.
The second is a Youtube Channel run by Mr Thorne - https://bit.ly/2FzGIzB. Most of his videos are aimed at EYFS/KS1 but if you go to playlists you can find 'Mr Thorne Does Grammar' which has concepts we teach in KS2.
Further information on 'useful links':
Both Times Tables Rock Stars and Prodigy require a login which your children have been given in school. These websites are a great way to boost your children's maths skills and have are designed to target their specific areas of weakness. Prodigy analyses how your children are doing and sets questions accordingly; Times Tables Rock Stars has tables set by the teacher - if they want to practise all of their tables, they can do so by playing in Studio Mode.
The last maths link is for a website which has many quick games split into the different areas of maths, e.g. sequencing and ordering.
Spelling games include the links: Spelling Central and Spelling Frame.
- Spelling Central allows your children to input their spelling list (which can be found on this web page) and play a variety of games with them.
- Spelling Frame uses vocabulary from the Y5 & 6 spelling list. In addition to the usual games which they can practise their spellings on, this website also allows the children to hear the words being spoken.
The links 'Spelling & Grammar Games', 'Comma Practise' and 'Adjectives Practise' are for your children to practise a range of grammar. 'Spelling and Grammar Games' is a link to the TopMarks website which has a wide range of games - they don't just have to use the games the link takes them to.
Mr Euan Mann
Giraffes Class Teacher