This page gives you an overview of Phase 5 and some games you can play at home.
Phase 5a Coverage:
Read and spell:
- wh ph
- split digraph ‘e’
- ay ea ie oe ew ue au aw ou oy ir ey
- tricky words: oh, their, people, Mr., Mrs., looked, called, asked, could
Phase 5b Coverage:
- -tch, -ve, ow (snow), -ore, are (scare), -y (happy),
- compound words
- Use the spelling rule for adding –s or –es as the plural marker for nouns and the third person singular marker for verbs.
- Spell words with the prefix un– and suffixes –ing, –ed, –er and –est where no change is needed in the spelling of root word.
- Read and spell fully decodable high frequency words on 100 list and read contracted words e.g. I’ll